Aloooha fellow Five O fans 🙂
Credit to Peter Lenkov on IG.
It’s been a very long time since my last blog, actually since the end of Season 6, but now I am back with a one off pre-Season 7 blog just to express my wishes and hopes for Season 7. Of course they are just according to my taste and personal opinion, not to be taken too seriously and never intended as criticism towards the professional writers and producers of the show.
Whatever happens in Season 7 I will always love Hawaii Five O and will enjoy watching it.
Now down to business, what would I like to see in Season 7?
- Steve McGarrett. Did I ever mention he is my favourite character? And of course that has nothing to do with the fact that he is portrayed by the talented, gorgeous, inspiring Alex O’Loughlin. Or does it? OK OK, it does but what can I say, I love the guy! I am looking forward to see how Steve McGarrett will deal with the aftermaths of his near death experience and liver transplant. The Commander has been through quite a few difficult situations in his life but this time he has come far too close not to be affected by the events of 6.25. I’m pretty sure we’ll see him soon enough doing his usual “tough guy” stunts and risking his newly acquired organ but more than the physical I am interested in seeing the psychological and emotional repercussions. Alex O’Loughlin is amazing at portraying the vulnerable and emotional side of the character and I’m sure he’ll be given plenty of material to make it even more interesting. I would like to see Steve dealing with this topic alone, but also confiding in the members of his Ohana. I would like him not to be afraid to show fear, sadness, confusion and gratitude before he goes back to be the rock that everybody counts on when they are down. I would like to see him growing in wisdom and awareness of his mortality before he goes back to put everybody else’s needs before his own. I would like to see him happy and having fun in between fighting crime and getting himself into dangerous situations.
- The bromance. I have always admitted that the McDanno relationship is one of my favourite in the show. Now that their connection is even stronger I hope to see more funny moments between them bickering about Steve mistreating Danno’s liver but also more meaningful, serious scenes in which we can see the deep emotional connection between them and the evolving of a friendship that is stronger than any brotherly blood relation.
- McGarrett Romance. Yes, I am not a big fan of romantic storylines being predominant in a procedural show but I think that glimpses of the characters’ personal lives help to make them more “real”, it helps us fans to feel more connected with them on an emotional level. I would love to see McLynn evolving into something strong and beautiful as the potential was there already last year. That very likely won’t happen as I haven’t heard anything about Sarah Carter coming back to Five 0 but if the story has to finish I hope it will be in a smart, not dismissive way. There are rumors of Alicia, Claire Forlani’s character to be a possible new love interest for McGarrett. Again, as long as the story is well written I’m opened to the possibility. Of course, the return of Catherine in episode 7.07 could bring to a rekindling of the McRoll romance. If that happens I won’t be thrilled, as I didn’t like all the lying and deceiving when she left last time. I hope this time Steve will not turn into a doormat again and will demand some serious explanation. If they are meant to be back together I hope it will be after some serious thinking and hard work in regaining trust and connection. People can’t get back to “normal” after being apart, on false pretences, for over two years without some serious soul searching. Whomever he’ll be with I would like to see Steve sincerely, deeply and passionately loved and respected, his caring heart deserves that much.
- Other romances. It’s impossible to think about Kono without thinking about Adam. Their troubled relationship is part of the characters’ development and story. Being in prison for 18 months surely would have changed Adam and the dynamics of the couple but their love has always seemed strong and able to win against every obstacle. Idealistic? Maybe, but it’s good to believe that love like that can exist and if not in real life it’s good to find it in fiction. The other big new romance of Season 6 was of course Chibby. We all loved to see Chin and Abby getting to know each other and falling in love, slowly, surely not without trouble and doubt but deeply. I am looking forward to see how their relationship evolves, also considering that Chin’s niece, Sarah, will be part of the picture. I wonder if Abby will be still part of the Five 0 team after 7.01. Julie Benz hasn’t recently been in Hawaii so I’m curious to see how Abby will fit in the plot this year. I most definitely hope to see more of the sassy married couple that are the Grovers while I could leave or take Danno’s romance with Amber/Melissa, actually I would like a new, more mature love interest for Danno.
- Ohana. Family is one of my favourite themes in the show. Not so much as real blood relations but as feeling of caring love for each other that our favourite characters have. Looking forward to see more of Max, Jerry, Duke, Nahele, Mary and little Joan, Kamekona. As much as I have never been a big fan of Doris McGarrett she is part of Steve’s family and we know she’ll also be back in 7.07. Hopefully to bring closure to this part of Steve’s life that is filled with secrets and brings him more danger than the protection it’s supposed to provide. I hope Steve will finally get answers and will be able to learn from them and to move on.
- Intriguing and powerful new villain. We have had some great villains on Five 0. We loved to hate WoFat and Gabriel and for one I will truly miss them both. Hopefully a new dark menace will surface soon to create trouble for our team.
- Spectacular action and stunts. Yeah, I like characters and story development but I also love breath-taking confrontations between the good and the bad guys, athletic one to one combat choreographies, individual badassery displays.
- Breath taking Hawaiian beauty. Since I went to Oahu in 2013 and 2015 I fell in love with the beauty of the Islands. So I’m looking forward to more of the amazing wonderful shots of natural beauty that the show treats us to in every episode. I love Diamond Head, that place has got something unique and magic that makes me happy every time I see it. The ocean, the waterfalls, the forest.
- Amazing performances. We are blessed with the most amazing cast of actors in Five 0. Apart from their stunning looks, all of our favourites bring to the show so much talent and professionalism. They can make us laugh, they can bring us to tears, they make us fall in love or they annoy us to no end but surely they never fail to create lots of emotions in us fans.
- Discussions, Opinions and new friendships. Being part of a fandom can be a great positive experience as much as it can be disruptive and upsetting. Personally I try to stay away from negative drama but I am also know for not shying away from expressing my opinion when I feel I need to do so. Five 0 has brought me so many good friends, a few truly amazing ones, a few that turned out to be not so good. But every year, every season it makes me happy to find new people I can discuss and share my passion with. Of course that doesn’t mean we have to agree on everything. In fact I like to hear different opinions from mine, and as long as we are all respectful that’s perfectly fine. I have friends among McDannos, McRolls, McLynns, (yes this McGarrett guy seems to always be involved) and friends that love the show without being connected with any particular ship. We should all be able to get along. In a TV show there will always be characters and storylines that we don’t like or agree with but will I let them ruin the joy of watching what I love? Nope I won’t. And if there is something that our beloved Alex would tell us while laughing at our reactions it would be: don’t take it too seriously guys, sit back and enjoy the ride!
So here you have it, looking forward for the 23rd of September (in fact it will have to be the 24th or the 25th as silly me booked tickets for a concert on the 23rd that will take me away from home until the Saturday evening) to come to start another great, exciting season and to share it with my fellow fans.
Until then enjoy summer and mahalo for reading.